Monday, January 23, 2012

Women feel more pain than men

Because I represent injured people in workers' comp cases or auto accidents or other types of accidents like slip and falls, I deal with people in pain on a constant basis.  That's why this article from the NY Daily News jumped out at me.

Researchers at Stanford University examined medical records of more than 72,000 patients, and found that women reported feeling about 20 percent more pain than men. 
Patients were asked to rate their pain on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being no pain at all, and ten being the most extreme pain, and on average women reported one point higher than men. Their findings, which were published Monday in the Journal of Pain, held true for a wide variety of diagnoses. 
Scientists are studying whether the disparity proves that women actually feel more than men, or whether they're simply more willing to report feeling pain.

I'm not sure what I make of this.  Obviously, our culture stresses that boys and men, generally, should not complain of pain or be deemed "less manly."  I think that probably has a lot to do with it.  Anyway...fascinating stuff.  The entire article is a good read. 

No comments: